Boca Raton Water Damage & Flooding
As the rainy season approaches in Boca Raton, excessive rainfall means the potential for leaky roofs and other types of water damage. These situations are some of the most costly that a homeowner or business owner can face. Water can quickly lead to mold growth, damage furniture and drywall, and compromise the very structure of a house or building.
Common causes of water damage include corroded or damaged pipes, blocked gutters, and leaks from roofs or windows.
To prepare for flooding, elevate the water heater and electric panel in your home or building. Install and know how to locate and safely shut off all utilities.
There are also several measures you can take to help prevent water damage. Inspect sinks, showers, toilets, gutters and downspouts to ensure there are no blockages. If the ground is pitched toward your house or building, water will run back toward it, causing leaks or flooding. So, make sure the ground pitch is angled away from your home or facility.
Water and flood damage restoration is not a do-it-yourself project. It is a lengthy and potentially dangerous process that should be tackled only by experienced professionals, like the experts at SERVPRO of South Palm Beach. If you have an issue, call SERVPRO of South Palm Beach right away. While you wait for our restoration team to arrive, take the following steps:
1. Turn off all power
2. Move important possessions and documents to safety
3. Raise all furniture or remove it entirely
4. Let in fresh air if weather permits
5. If safely doing so is possible, use buckets to remove water, and clean out the internal and outside water drainage of your home or building
Once they arrive, the SERVPRO of South Palm Beach team will begin the repair and restoration process:
Our technicians determine if the water is from a clean source or an unsanitary place like a sewerage system. SERVPRO of South Palm Beach locates and measures the damage, from subfloors to inside the wall cavities and elsewhere.
We use powerful vacuums capable of removing thousands of gallons every hour.
Our licensed restoration professionals have the knowledge and heavy-duty
equipment to start the air movement necessary to dry out your home or facility. They will also inspect the affected areas for mold.
Without prompt action, water damage is virtually guaranteed to spread and become permanent. The longer you wait, the greater the chance of mold growth and unrecoverable property. So, if you live in Boca Raton and have a water issue, call SERVPRO of South Palm Beach immediately at 561-391-3366. Our professionals have the expertise to reverse and prevent the devastating effects of flooding and water damage.
Immediate Steps to Take if Your Boca Raton Business Suffers From Water Damage
Let’s face it, water damage is threatening to your property’s value and can cause some serious, well damage. Whether you’re facing a storm; a flood; leaks from a weakened roof, HVAC or busted pipes; or experience overflowing appliances, water damage can wreak havoc in an array of emergency situations. To prevent further damage and to increase chances of salvation, it is critical to act quickly within the first 24 hours. Considering you have safely evacuated the premises and safety officials have declared it safe, follow these steps to immediately rectify your business from water damage.
Avoid Additional Risks
Upon returning to your property, survey the premises and document any visible structural damage that may further endanger you and your property. Look for signs of warping, loosened or cracked foundation elements, and holes. If safety officials haven’t done so already, contact utility companies to cease all water and electrical sources. Even if the power is still out upon your return, physically turn off the main power line and individual fuses to avoid risk of electrocution should the power be reactivated.
While surveying your property, take photos and document all damages. Digital photos will allow you to properly store, back-up and transfer files quickly and conveniently. Be sure to document all damages prior to removing any water or starting on any repairs; otherwise, you risk decreasing the extent of your insurance coverage.
Contact your Insurance Provider
Contacting your insurance provider is critical immediately following water damage and your return to the property. Your insurance provider will be able to assess the situation, file a claim, determine whether or not the damage is severe enough to send an adjuster, and provide invaluable next steps. They will also ask for the documentation you’ve collected so it’s important to have that readily available. Pro Tip: if government authorities have declared your region a ‘disaster area’, property owners may have access to increased resources, services and financial assistance.
Secure the Property
Place board over broken windows, fasten tarps, and carryout other measures to avoid further leaks and water damage. Be sure to document all of your efforts to secure your property from further damage. If these precautionary steps are not taken and something else happens, additional damages may not be covered by your insurance provider.
Mitigate Mold Damage
It only takes 24-48 hours for mold to develop following a flood or water damage. If items have been wet for less than 48 hours, they may be salvageable. Remove wet contents such as carpeting and furniture as soon as possible. If an item has been exposed longer than 48 hours, it may be harder and more expensive to salvage. If possible, you can start the drying out process within 24 hours and eliminate mold and mildew growth by:
- Removing wet furniture or lifting it off of carpet
- Place aluminum foil or other carpet separators on furniture to prevent carpet stains
- Remove and hang area rugs to dry
- Use fans and dehumidifiers to dry out wet areas
- Turn air conditioning on to help remove humidity and speed the drying process
Contact A Professional Restoration Service
If any amounts of water need more than a mop and you’ve followed the immediate steps to secure your business, water removal may require professional attention. SERVPRO of South Palm Beach has the expertise, training and equipment to quickly remedy water damages and help your business get back to working order faster. Give SERVPRO of South Palm Beach a call at 561-391-3366.
Faster to Your Boca Raton Water Damage
SERVPRO of South Palm Beach provides 24-hour fire and water damage restoration service in Boca Raton and Highland Beach
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of South Palm Beach provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of South Palm Beach arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 561-391-3366
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of South Palm Beach
SERVPRO of South Palm Beach specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Mold Remediation in Your Boca Raton Home or Business?
SERVPRO of South Palm Beach offers mold remediation and restoration; we have the training, equipment and expertise to better assist you.
It is preferred that you have an Industrial Hygienist protocol (mold test) done before the work is begins?
This is a process where air sampling and affected areas are tested to provide a detailed remediation and restoration protocol for SERVPRO of South Palm Beach to follow. There is also a post-test that will take place once we are finished to confirm clearance.
Every time our team handles a mold job, we are required to wear the appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) which includes items such as coveralls and respirators.
SERVPRO of South Palm Beach will make sure to keep anything deemed salvageable; we go above and beyond to ensure restoration before removal. Unfortunately, in most situations there is some tear out involved to remove affected areas such as drywall, flooring, and/or furniture.
During the mold remediation process a HEPA vacuum is used, HEPA filters are designed to capture particles as small as mold spores and to ensure that they do not get reintroduced. Our mold experts use “negative air” containment, which is created by positioning negative air machines to introduce clean air into the affected area and push contaminated air outside the home.
You want to consider getting your HVAC cleaned as well, the mold spores can collect there and be dispersed throughout the home.
Every mold infestation is different, from the amount of mold to the types of materials affected. Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. If you have any questions, give SERVPRO of South Palm Beach a call at 561-391-3366.
Boca Raton Fire Damage- How long do you have to escape a house fire
Everyone knows not to dawdle if their house is on fire, but you may believe you have some time to make a safe exit. Well, think again.
In this video, Gail McGovern, the president of the Red Cross reveals that you only have two (just two!) minutes to get out of your home before you might get stuck in the flames. This is because it only takes about five minutes for a fire to consume your entire house. And with one in seven people dying in a house fire each day, there's little room for error.
Practicing fire safety certainly requires vigilance, but it doesn't take too much effort to avoid a tragedy. First, make sure you have smoke alarms in your home (5 million American homes don't). You need one in every bedroom, one outside every sleeping area, and at least one on every floor. Make sure the detectors are working and refresh their batteries when you change the clocks for the beginning and end of Daylight Saving Time.
Also, it's important to practice fire drills with your family (get the Red Cross' guidelines here). You should go over possible routes to get out of your house fast, and consider getting escape ladders for any rooms on upper floors. Choose a meeting place outside that's a safe distance from your home.
And of course, you should take steps to prevent fires from happening in the first place. Watch the video to learn which common mistakes you might be making.
Click here for original article.
Call SERVPRO of South Palm Beach if you've had a fire or would like to know how we can help in the event you do. 561-391-3366
What to Do After a Flood in you Boca Raton business or home?
Storms can cause severe damage to your home—potentially even making them unsafe! SERVPRO is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for catastrophic storm response, and you can call us at (561) 391-3366 to get immediate help.
What You Should Do After a Flood
Even if you were properly prepared for the flood and weathered the storm until it passed, your home could still have sustained heavy damage. Now that the sky is blue once more, how do you proceed? Here’s a look at what to do after a flood:
Just because the sun is shining, and the flood waters have receded, that doesn’t mean all danger has passed. Exercise caution by doing the following:
- Tune into local alerts and warning systems to stay up-to-date with current information and receive expert, informed advice about the flood. After all, additional flooding could still occur.
- Stay away from rushing water. Moving water only 6 inches deep can sweep you off your feet.
- Avoid walking through large areas of standing water, which may be electrically charged by downed power lines. The water could also be hiding broken glass or dangerous animals.
- Unless you are specifically asked for help by the police, fire department, or relief workers, keep out of damaged areas.
- Help emergency workers by staying off the roads in and out of the damaged neighborhood or region.
- If you’re caught in a stalled car during a flash flood, abandon the car and get to higher ground immediately.
- Heed barricades and find an alternate route if you encounter one blocking your way. Crossing bridges even after the water has receded could be dangerous if the structural integrity has been jeopardized.
- Return home only when the authorities permit it. Even then, stay out of the building if it’s surrounded by flood waters and exercise extreme caution when you do enter.
Stay Safe and Healthy
Take care of you and your family as cleanup efforts begin. To stay safe and healthy, remember the following:
- Turn off the home’s electricity at the main breaker box, even if the power is out. Only turn the power on when your home is dry.
- Avoid floodwater, which may be contaminated with sewage, gasoline, or oil.
- Fix damaged sewer systems as soon as possible.
- Don’t drink water from the tap. Listen to news reports to learn when the community’s water is safe to drink again.
Clean and Repair Your Home
- Use the information in the Repairing Your Flooded Home PDF from the Red Cross to learn how to enter your home safely, protect your belongings from future damage, record damage for insurance claims, check for gas leaks, and begin the cleanup process.
- Contact your insurance agent to discuss your claim.
- Hire a professional water damage mitigation company as soon as possible. It’s important that the company is qualified for the services you need. SERPVRO of South Palm Beach is available 24/7 to help when you need it most. Not only are we a local command center, but we also have the resources of 1,600 franchises nationwide—meaning no disaster is too big.
Get Help After a Flood
SERVPRO of South Palm Beach is prepared for the unpredictable—and you can call us day or night to get disaster relief and recovery. We’re here to help you get back on your feet and make it look like it never happened. Contact us today to start the cleanup process without delay by calling 561-391-3366
Minimize Boca Raton Storm Damage with our Trained Professionals
If you have ever endured storm damage to your Boca Raton home, SERVPRO of South Palm Beach is here to help. Our employees are trained and certified by the IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) to ensure that the technicians have the expertise in restoring your home.
In cases where there is flood damage to your home, the IICRC categorizes four different classes of destruction as follows:
- Class 1: The lowest and easiest to deal with, this has a slow evaporation rate. Only part of a room or area was affected, there is little or no wet carpet, and the moisture has only affected materials with a low permeance rate, such as plywood or concrete.
- Class 2: With a fast evaporation rate, this level affects an entire room, carpeting, or cushioning, the wetness has wicked up the walls at least 12”, and there is moisture remaining in structural materials.
- Class 3: This class has the fastest evaporation rate, and ceilings, walls, insulation, carpet and sub-floors are all saturated. The liquid may have come from overhead.
- Class 4: This class is labeled as specialty drying situations, which means there has been enough liquid and time to saturate materials with very low permeance, such as hardwood, brick, or stone.
If your home is ever in need of restoration services from flood damage, call SERVPRO of South Palm Beach at 561-391-3366
Restoring Your Boca Raton Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Flooding and water damage events at Boca Raton commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large-scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of South Palm Beach
SERVPRO of South Palm Beach specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
For Immediate Service in Boca Raton, Call SERVPRO
SERVPRO of South Palm Beach provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Boca Raton. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7/365 at 561-391-3366
Whether your Boca Raton or home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Boca Raton commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So, when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services:
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
Mold issues in Boca Raton: What Causes Mold ?
What does Mold Need to Grow?
· A food source (eg wood, drywall, cotton)
· Darkness (mold can't grow under ultraviolet light)
· Warmth (mold can't grow in freezing temperatures)
· Moisture (eg water leaks, humidity)
· Enough time (most molds can begin to grow in 24-48 hours if the conditions are right)
Humidity Causes Mold
If you live where humidity in the air is naturally high, like by the coast or another large body of water, then mold growth in your home can also be a recurring problem.
Leaking Pipes Cause Mold
Water leaks from pipes are a common cause of mold growth. The worst leaks are the ones that go undetected because they are hidden out of view, like inside a wall. By the time you discover these leaks mold has usually started to grow already.
Leaks in Roof Cause Mold
Like some leaking pipes, a roof that leaks into the attic might not be discovered until it's already lead to mold growth.
The best thing to do is to check the attic regularly for leaks and keep an eye on the ceiling below the attic. If you notice any signs of water damage on the ceiling or any mold that has grown through then you probably have a leaking roof.
Poor Ventilation Causes Mold
If your home is poorly ventilated it can create pockets of stagnant moist air which mold thrives in. Steam and water evaporating into the air creates humidity inside which then needs to be circulated outdoors through windows to keep the moisture level balanced.
Flooding Causes Mold
Mold problems can develop after your home has been affected by flooding. The most effective way to prevent mold growth after a flood in your Boca Raton home, is to call SERVPRO of South Palm Beach immediately. Our 24/7/365 response will be start the process of removing water and drying your home. This step greatly reduces the possibility of mold growth.
If you have any questions about what additional steps do take if you think you have mold, please call us at 561-391-3366.